Sunday, September 30, 2007

State Chairman Gary Emineth weighs in

I love a great view. It is hard to beat a summer evening standing on a deck overlooking the Missouri river. A breathtaking sight, but completely hidden to anyone in the valley. It’s all in where you’re standing. Since becoming chairman of the ND GOP three months ago, I have stood back and watched, listened, and thought. Now it’s time to say something.

Once there was a boy who wanted to be a soldier in the army when he grew up. I thought it was cute. He graduated from High School and joined the army. I thought it was a good choice. On October 28, I will watch my nephew, John, board a plane for Iraq. It’s hard to know what to think.

In the words of Thomas Paine, “…these are the times that try men’s souls...” And they are. In times of war and crisis, the character of patriotism is tested. But patriotism is also an everyday virtue which requires”… education supplemented by self-interest.” I am writing to do some education.

First I’d invite those down in the valley whining about the “bleak landscape” to come up and see for themselves. I can’t buy this patently liberal viewpoint packaged as an “independent perspective.” We North Dakotans can send out a strong message to independent voters. Consider the facts. The view from here isn’t so bleak.

ND Republicans hold a majority in the legislature thanks to a strong grass roots organization; any lost ground is due to over $500,000 of out-of-state contributions raised by the democrats state party.
Because of the policies of a Republican administration, incomes are growing faster than the National Average. 25,000 new jobs have been created.
As a result of a thriving economy, the GOP passed record support for education at all levels.
The largest tax relief in ND history was passed –120 million dollars.
An enormously popular and widely effective Governor will lead the GOP ticket.

If the Republican Presidential candidates aren’t exciting enough, tune in to the Democratic debates for entertainment. Through the digressions and diatribes I have asked myself, “Where are these folks from? Where is Simon when we need him?” No American idols here.

In contrast, I’ve had some interactions with my dad and my father-in-law. Both agree that there are problems but refuse to take life in America for granted. They haven’t forgotten when an oppressive regime was a real threat.

It takes sacrifice and resolve to preserve freedom. May I remind you that there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/ll. Many attempts have been thwarted thanks to the vigilance and courage of those sworn by sacred oath to defend this country.

Patriotism is not old-fashioned; it’s a virtue as worthy as justice . Not always popular, it is always necessary.
The tears will come as I say good-bye to John. But these words will be there, too.

“I’m proud to be an American..where at least I know I’m free…”

As we prepare to elect the next President consider this-- The world needs more than a daydream believer or a homecoming queen.

No comments: