Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Matt Mechtel: Beltway Seduction Corrupts

From today's Fargo Forum

Beltway seduction corrupts

By Matt Mechtel - 10/24/2006

Washington has become a different world, a world far removed from North Dakota.
Unfortunately, many times those who have been elected end up reflecting Washington views and attitudes. Those who succumb to the Beltway seduction believe they are above the law. This is not new. The Abscam scandal was a manifestation of the Beltway attitude. This elitist attitude has been demonstrated, once again, by Congressman Bob Ney’s refusal to resign after pleading guilty to corruption.

This is not a partisan issue; it is a Potomac issue. Whether it isbig-money lobbyists, self-serving journalists or career bureaucrats, the power to corrupt is all around D.C. It is not only criminal and political corruption that threatens our country. Too many congressmen and senators come to reflect the inside-the-beltway view. This view is very different from the Midwestern common sense, conservative approach that we are used to.

I am running for Congress. You have the right to ask what I would do to ensure that your views and attitudes, along with my principles, will not be compromised during my time in Washington. That is a legitimate question and one that every voter should ask of everyone running for office, particularly national office.

I am a farmer and small businessman. I have spent my life working the soil. My family, my faith, my friends and my farm have formed the set of values I live by. I do not intend to leave them in North Dakota. They will be at the forefront of my approach to the issues and challenges facing our country and state the next two years. My family and friends would expect no less, and you should not expect less of me, either. I expect you to hold me to my commitment to resist the allure of the inside-the-beltway crowd and their corruptive power.

I will not be a quiet, back-of-the-room congressman. That is not my nature. I am a farmer; when I see something that endangers my crops and threatens the future, I do what is necessary. I will take that approach in Washington.

I will post on the Web, every day, my activities of the previous day. You will know who I met with, what bills we worked on, what happened in my committee meetings, and what I did on the floor of Congress. I will post what legislation is being discussed and when hearings and votes will be taken. That will allow you, as my boss, to give me your position on any issue under consideration. I will also post the special-interest lobbyists who visit me. So, there will be no secrets. I will sponsor a bill and lead the effort to make this mandatory for every member of Congress.

I will sponsor a bill to prohibit those who leave the House and Senate and the executive branch, for whatever reason, from ever lobbying Congress and the executive branch. Lobbying has become a corruptive influence on legislation. A perfect example is immigration. The overwhelming majority of Americans of all ethnic backgrounds strongly support an end to illegal immigration. Lobbyists from every special interest swarmed over Congress like an invasion of locusts.

We can change the atmosphere in Washington. Shining the light of truth and common sense will work wonders. I know this will not be popular in D.C., but, as every farmer knows, you have to get rid of the weeds and rot before a bumper crop can grow. Washington is no different. We can do better.

Mechtel, Page, N.D., is the Republican-endorsed candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives. E-mail matt@mattmechtel.com

No comments: